Thursday 27 September 2012

British slang words that I have learned in the UK

So this blogpost features another video, in which English twin brothers Jack and Finn teaches their American friend Tyler Oakley some British slang terms.



As mentioned in the video, there's another video (click here) in which Tyler teaches the twins some gay slang that he uses frequently. Make sure to check both videos out, if only to watch some cute guys playing with language.

Inspired by the videos, I compiled my own list of slang words that I've learned over the years just by listening to my British friends. These are terms that you don't get from English vocabulary books aimed at foreign learners.

  • Ace - If something is ace, it's very good or awesome. How was the film? Ace.
  • Bollocks - Testicles, but generally used to describe nonsense or rubbish (in order to express contempt, disagreement or annoyance). Oh bollocks, I left my house keys at the office.
  • Cheers - This word has various uses. The most obvious one is to express good wishes before drinking. However, the British also use it to say goodbye or to end a conversation. Additionally, it means thank you. Your receipt is in the bag. Cheers.
  • Dodgy - If someone or something is dodgy, it is dishonest, unreliable or untrustworthy. Don't go there, that area is a bit dodgy.
  • Faff - To faff around means to waste time or to procrastinate. I really need to stop faffing around and get on with some work.
  • Fancy-pants - Superior or high-class in a pretentious way. I treated myself to an Indian head massage today. Ooh, fancy-pants.
  • Fit - Good-looking or sexually attractive. Don't you think those twin guys in the video above are well fit too?
  • Gutted - If someone says that s/he is gutted, it means that the person is bitterly disappointed or really upset. I'm so gutted that I missed the deadline last week.
  • Knackered - Another way to say that you're extremely tired or worn out. Some people might also use the term shattered (exhausted). I need to lie down, I'm so knackered.
  • Mate - A friend or a companion. Do you fancy watching football with me and my mates tonight?
  • Nice one! - This phrase can be used to express approval if someone does something impressive. I got a job offer! Nice one!
  • Nick - To nick something means to steal. If you're the victim, you are being nicked. Damn it, I think they nicked my bike.
  • Nip - To do something quickly. Do I have time to nip to the toilet? 
  • Pissed - Getting pissed means getting drunk in the UK. There are loads of other terms to describe the same thing such as bladdered, hammered, car-parked etc. I can't remember how I got home last night, everyone was so pissed.
  • Quid - Another term for one pound. Other useful slang terms related to money are fiver (five pound note) and tenner (ten pound note). Forty quid is dead expensive, isn't it?
  • Sorted - Term used to say that you've arranged something or fixed a problem. Did you manage to speak to your superior today? Yep, it's sorted.
  • Twat - An offensive word used to insult someone who has upset you or to describe a person as stupid or obnoxious. My date didn't turn up yesterday. What a twat!
  • Waffle - Talking or writing for a long time without getting to a point. Some people are surprisingly good at this! I lost track of what he was saying, he just waffled on and on.
  • Whinge - Whinging or whining means complaining persistently or in an irritating way. I can't stand that woman, she is whinging all the time.
  • Wonky - To describe something shaky or unstable. I really hate those wonky tables.

I'm pretty sure that I've picked up a lot more words, but these are the ones I can think of at the moment. So a message to my dear British readers: Are there any other British slang terms that I should know? And to my non-English friends and speakers, which slang words have you encountered whilst living in the UK? Let me know in the comments below!

Via Folksy

No comments:

Post a Comment